Planning on packing up and heading on a big lap in your caravan around Australia? This is an exciting time in your life. Something you've probably dreamed of for years is about to come to fruition. An extended period away in a caravan is something that needs to be planned carefully, whether you're a first timer or an old hand. A little planning goes a long way to make your your trip is memorable for the right reasons.
To get you started, we've compiled a list of the top 10 resources you can use to make the planning process a little easier.
Budgeting - Managing Money on Your Caravan Trip Around Australia
Jumping in your caravan to head around Australia is all about being self-sufficient, and making a little go a long way. You likely won't have the luxury of having a supermarket to pop into every day or even every few days. Here are some resources to help you plan your budget:
- Managing your Pension - a guide from the Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA)
- Budget Planner - a tool from ASIC that helps you understand your incomings and outgoings
Insurance - Making Sure You're Covered
Planning a trip is all about working out what could happen, and making sure you have a plan in place for all eventualities. You don't want your trip spoiled by a hefty medical bill waiting for you when you return (on top of the pain of the issue itself). Here are some tools to help you figure out the best cover for your caravan trip around Australia:
- Guide to Caravan Insurance - work out what's important for you and your trip and compare plans
- Comparison Tool - find and compare different policies
Health - Ensure You're Up For the Adventure
Even if you're as healthy as a horse, it pays to get yourself checked before heading off on an extended break. Fill any prescriptions in advance as you don't know how hard it might be to come by a pharmacy on the road.
Make sure you are fit, healthy and your diet is on point. This means exercising regularly, drinking lots of water and eating lots of fresh food (and limiting processed food). Inform yourself about the right food choices. These might help:
- Yoga for Any Age - Yoga will strengthen your core, with the added benefit of keeping you calm and centred.
- Guide to Nutrition for Older Australians - find out what are the smart dietary choices to make, and take this knowledge on the road with you.
Carry a first aid kit on the road with you at all times. Here are some places to visit to make sure you have everything you need:
- St John's Ambulance First Aid Kits - specialised camping and caravan kits.
- First Aid Kit 'Must Haves' - a guide to what is important to include.
Safety - Make Sure You're in Control
You want to set of in your caravan around Australia knowing you can handle any situation that arises. If you're heading off the beaten track you need to know basic first aid, so it pays for all parties to do a course before you go.
- St John First Aid Course - based in Melbourne, will cover you for most emergencies.
- Pre-holiday Caravan Safety Checklist - ensure your caravan is safe and ready for the trip ahead.
A caravan trip around Australia is an adventure you will remember always. A little planning will ensure you, your loved ones and your caravan are all well-prepared for anything that might happen. Happy travels!